Hygienic Plate Heat Exchanger for Food, Dairy and Beverage Applications
Alfa Laval provides the most complete and trusted range of Food, Dairy and Beverage Gasketed Plate Heat Exchangers (GPHEs). These hygienic heat exchangers feature versatile design while offering high heat transfer efficiency, delivering superior value to owners and operators across a broad range of hygienic industries from food, dairy and beverage processing to breweries. Alfa Laval hygienic heat exchangers optimise process performance thereby providing sound, climate-smart and sustainable operating economy.
Hygienic heat exchanger applications
- Milk and cheese milk pasteurization
- Ultra-high temperature sterilization
- Beverage and energy drink pasteurization
- Standard and pulpy juice pasteurization
- Beer wort heating and beer cooling
- Liquid egg processing
- Bottled water treatment
- Soups, sauces and starch heating
- Tomato sauce and mustard heating and cooling
How to choose the best hygienic heat exchanger
The premium Alfa Laval FrontLine range is the clear choice for demanding hygienic applications, for applications that require gentle product handling, and for heat-sensitive media or media containing particles and fibres. The Alfa Laval BaseLine range is a competitive heat exchanger for less demanding hygienic processes and utility applications.
Alfa Laval FrontLine is our premium range of plate heat exchangers for applications with the strictest demands regarding hygienic control as well as gentle product treatment, long operating time and superior cleanability. Suitable for applications with specific hygienic needs such as beverages, dairy and food, FrontLine is the superior choice for heat sensitive media.
Alfa Laval BaseLine is a competitive range of gasketed plate-and-frame heat exchangers for simpler dairy, food, beverage, pharma and other hygienic and utility applications. It offers high fouling resistance and thermal efficiency and is suitable for multi-section heat exchangers for pasteurization.
- ClipLine for standard duties
- ClipLine WideStream for pulpy juice
- ClipLine Gemini for double-wall protection
- Standard materials include AISI 316, SMO 254,Titanium and Hastelloy
Engineered for hygiene, versatility and efficiency
The plate-and-frame construction of the Alfa Laval FrontLine and BaseLine hygienic heat exchangers makes design and configuration of the units for various applications both easy and flexible. Both heat exchangers are available with two different plate types:
- The standard Chevron-type plate, which is used in a wide range of applications, provides good product distribution as well as high thermal efficiency making it ideal for pasteurization of milk and cheese milk.
- The Gemini double wall plate consists of two plates pressed together, which prevents the cross contamination of fluids in the event of leakage through the plates. Gemini plates are not welded, making it easy to open and inspect them during service.
In addition to these two plate types, the Alfa Laval FrontLine range also offers the Alfa Laval Wide Stream Plate for products that contain particles and/or fibers, making it ideal for processing juices.
Heat recovery reduces carbon footprint and operating cost
Many food, beverage and dairy processes including Cleaning in Place (CIP) are heat intensive. Recovering and reusing heat allows to reduce operating cost while also delivering energy savings and environmental benefits. This makes plate heat exchangers a vital part of equipment for sustainable operations. Specific considerations for hygienic applications include superior hygienic safety with plates designed for food and beverage applications, as well as gentle treatment of sensitive products that run through the heat exchanger.